Media and Communications (Sports Journalism) Internship
Wednesday, 22 January 2020
Media and Communications (Sports Journalism) Internship Program 2020
The Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS) Communications and Marketing department is offering a trainee program to a university student or recent graduate. The placement will commence in February 2020, with the major focus being the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games in July & August 2020. The full duration of placement can be discussed.
Here is an exciting learning opportunity for a passionate intern who has an interest in sports marketing, digital media and communications. The right candidate will be a hardworking, articulate, passionate and motivated individual with a willingness to learn and a strong interest in sport. They will be social media savvy and have the ability to generate relevant and timely content, with good sports writing skills.
1. Broad purpose of the position and its responsibilities/duties:
The placement will be located at the VIS within the VIS Marketing and Communications Department at Lakeside Stadium, 33 Aughtie Drive, Albert Park. The trainee will be directly supervised by the VIS Digital Media Coordinator to assist with the implementation and delivery of VIS communication and marketing activities, as well as general administration tasks. The placement duration can be discussed with the successful candidate, based on any specific university requirements.
2. Statement of Key Responsibilities/Duties
Reporting to the VIS Digital Media Coordinator, key responsibilities include:
- Assisting with the athlete databased and researching appropriately
- Assistance with the coordination of VIS media activities and opportunities
- Assisting with maintenance and development of VIS social media platforms, including generating and prescheduling regular content updates
- Generating and writing appropriate stories to raise the profile of the Victorian Institute of Sport
- Assisting the generation of engaging video content for digital channels, namely VIS Insider videos
- Assisting with the design, development and editing of all VIS printed publications including the Pinnacle magazine.
- Event support as required, including the VIS Open Day
3. Reporting/Working Relationships:
Responsible to the VIS Digital Media Coordinator and liaising with other VIS staff, service providers, coaches and athletes and VIS partners and stakeholders
4. Special Conditions:
Students currently enrolled in university degrees may be able to complete this placement as a fieldwork opportunity, if arranged with your university. Please note that some of the hours in the traineeship may be able to be completed after hours.
To ensure their own safety and the safety of others, employees must work in a safe manner and comply with all VIS policies and procedures relating to Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare.
We also request that the successful candidate is available and in Melbourne during the Tokyo 2020 Olympics (24/7 – 9/8) and Paralympics (25/8 – 6/9).
1. Who is eligible?
This traineeship is available to undergraduate or postgraduate students studying Media or Sports Journalism or an equivalent degree with an interest in providing high quality support for VIS athletes. Applicants with other related Media and Communications degrees may also be considered.
Placements are NOT offered to high school students.
2. Essential application requirements:
All applicants must provide the following with their application:
- Cover letter addressing why the applicant would like the placement (career aspirations)
- Most recent academic record
To apply, please send your application (including cover letter, CV and academic record) to VIS Marketing (firstname.lastname@example.org) by COB on Wednesday 5 February 2020, with interviews beginning 12 February 2020.