Sport Science Student Placement Program 2019
Friday, 02 November 2018
VIS Sport Science Student Placements offer an exciting opportunity to gain valuable practical experience within the daily training environment of elite athletes, delivering specialised Sport Science support and working under some of Australia’s leading applied Sport Scientists.
The placements are open to 3rd year undergraduate and postgraduate students studying an Exercise Science (or equivalent) degree. These unpaid placements are for a minimum of 10 hours per week over a 12 month period, commencing in January 2019.
This placement will be located within the VIS Sport Science Department. The trainee will be directly supervised by a VIS Sport Science staff member to deliver general and specialised sport science services to VIS athletes.
Trainees will either be assigned to a particular sport or assigned to various projects in general sport science. The placements will assist with a number of initiatives in any area of VIS Sport Science, including:
- Laboratory and field-based physiological fitness assessment
- Strategies to accelerate recovery and regeneration after training and competition
- Heat acclimation strategies for preparing athletes to compete in the heat
- Hydration monitoring and formulation of tailored hydration strategies
- Health and wellness monitoring during heavy training and major competitions
- Monitoring of training loads via specific software applications
- Physiological monitoring of athletes within the daily training environment
- Use of high definition cameras for the preparation of video analysis
- Analysis of technique using technology
- Match analysis using various software products specifically tailored to your sport
- Race profiling for changes in speed, efficiency, work output, fatigue and physiological markers
- Performance analysis and feedback during and after competition
Responsible to the Sport Science Coordinator and liaising with other VIS Sport Scientists, Coaches and Athletes.
This placements requires frequent out of hours work with travel often required. Students currently enrolled in university degrees should complete this placement as a fieldwork opportunity. To ensure their own safety and the safety of others, employees must work in a safe manner and comply with all VIS policies and procedures that relate to Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare. This includes current Working with Children Check, CPR and first aid qualifications.
Who is eligible?
The placements are open to 3rd year undergraduate and postgraduate students studying an Exercise Science (or equivalent) degree. Applicants with other related degrees such as Sports Engineering and Computer Science, for example, may also be considered. Applicants must hold a current driver licence to be eligible for the placement. Student placements are NOT offered to high school students.
How to Apply?
- All applicants must provide the following with their application:
- Cover letter addressing the key criteria listed below*
Most recent academic record
Applications are due no later than 5pm on 28th November 2018.
Email your application (cover letter, CV and academic report) to: email@example.com
Key Criteria to address in your cover letter in one A4 page or less:
- Why do you want the placement (career aspirations)?
- Outline your knowledge of lab/field testing, lactate/hydration/training monitoring, performance analysis, and technology (cameras, software etc)
- Outline your previous practical experience in lab/field testing, lactate/hydration/training monitoring, performance analysis, and technology.
*Applications that do not outline the above key criteria will NOT be considered.
The following qualifications are considered desirable for the student placement application as they will be required to be completed in order to fulfil the duties/responsibilities of the placement:
- Previous experience/placement working in a Sport Science setting
- Working with Children Check
- First Aid
- ISAK (optional)
- Applications close at 5pm on 28th November 2018
- Interview dates: commencing from Thurs 6th Dec – Wed 12th Dec
Successful candidates will be contacted via email to attend an interview as indicated above. If you have not received an email by Mon 17th Dec then your application has been unsuccessful. Unsuccessful candidates will not be contacted due to the high number of applications we receive each year.