Nutrition Tip | Easy ways to maintain digestive health
Monday, 29 January 2018
We all know that dietary fibre is important for digestive health, however, excessive dietary fibre can lead to excess wind, bloating, diarrhoea and nutrient malabsorption. It can also result in GI (gastro-intestinal) distress, discomfort and even interrupt key training sessions or racing.
Foods that are rich in FIBRE & may be best to minimise before key sessions or racing:
1. Beans & legumes
2. Dense wholegrain and seedy breads
3. Oat or bran fibre
4. Sauerkraut or Kimchi
5. Excessive vegetable intake
Stick with more simple & bland, low fat and fibre products that are easy to absorb and rich in carbohydrate to perform at your maximum.
Simple carbohydrates with little fibre & fat for pre-training racing include:
1. White or wholemeal breads, rolls and wraps
2. Banana low fat or skim milk smoothies
3. Weetbix with berries or banana
4. Pancakes with peach slices and low fat yoghurt
5. Crumpets and pikelets with jam