S&C Traineeships 2017/18
Monday, 17 July 2017
The VIS Strength and Conditioning Department offer an exciting opportunity for prospective S&C coaches seeking to gain valuable practical experience in preparing elite athletes and working alongside some of Australia’s leading S&C coaches.
This placement opportunity is open to current undergraduates, graduates or postgraduates of Exercise Science (or equivalent) degrees. The placements are unpaid for a 12-month period and the successful applicants are requested to contribute at least 10 hours per week commencing in September 2017.
This placement will be located within the VIS Strength & Conditioning Department. The trainee will be directly supervised by a VIS staff member to assist with S&C services to VIS athletes.
Trainees will either be assigned to a particular sport/s or assigned to assist with the general supervision and operation of S&C sessions. The placements will assist with a number of initiatives in any area of VIS Strength & Conditioning including:
- The coaching of squad based training sessions
- The operation of the S&C training areas (weights room, sprung floor & pool)
- Programming and planning of S&C sessions
- Testing and data collection of strength and power testing
- Close monitoring of training loads
- Video capture & technique analysis (both qualitative and quantitative) using simple laptop-based software products during training and competition
- Direct supervision and programming of development athletes
- Participate in department run S&C workshops
Responsible to the S&C / Sport Science Coordinator and liaising with other VIS S&C coaches, coaches & athletes.
This placement requires frequent out of hours work with travel sometimes required. Students currently enrolled in university degrees should complete this placement as a fieldwork opportunity. To ensure their own safety and the safety of others, employees must work in a safe manner and comply with all VIS policies and procedures that relate to Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare. This includes current Working with Children Check, CPR and first aid qualifications.
Who is eligible?
Placements are available to current undergraduates, graduates or postgraduate students studying Exercise Science or related courses. Applicants must hold a current driver licence to be eligible for the placement. Student placements are NOT offered to high school students.
How to Apply?
All applicants must provide the following with their application:
- Cover letter addressing the key criteria listed below*
- Most recent academic record
Applications are due no later than 5pm on Friday 4th August 2017.
Email your application (cover letter, CV and academic report) to: email@example.com
Key Criteria to address in your cover letter in one A4 page or less:
- Why do you want the placement (career aspirations)?
- Practical experience in strength and conditioning to date.
- Relevant qualifications.
*Applications that do not outline the above key criteria will NOT be considered.
The following qualifications are considered desirable for the student placement application as they will be required to be completed in order to fulfil the duties/responsibilities of the placement:
- Previous experience/placement working in Strength & Conditioning
- Working with Children Check
- First Aid
- ASCA Level 1
- Applications close at 5pm on Friday 4 August 2017
- Interview dates: week commencing Monday 21 August 2017
Successful candidates will be contacted via email to attend an interview as indicated above. If you have not received an email by Thursday 24 August then your application has been unsuccessful. Unsuccessful candidates will not be contacted due to the high number of applications we receive each year.