Joseph named women's hockey coach
Friday, 29 April 2016
The VIS is delighted to announce that former Hockeyroos star Stacia Joseph will take on the interim role of VIS Women’s Hockey Program Head Coach, replacing outgoing coach Katie Allen.
A qualified physical education teacher, Stacia (pictured above left) comes into the role with an impressive resume and brings a wealth of experience from both her playing and coaching career and professional life.
Stacia is well known to the VIS with a long and highly regarded history with hockey in Australia. She broke into the Australian Women’s national team in 2009 and played in that year's Champions Trophy. Since then the midfielder-defender represented her country 42 times.
A long term VIS scholarship holder (2005 -2014), Stacia Captained the Victorian Vipers to a gold medal at the 2012 Australian Hockey League tournament and a bronze medal finish last year.
Stacia has coached extensively, holding instrumental positions at several clubs throughout The Netherlands including Amsterdam Hockey Club, HIC Hockey Club and Qui Vive Hockey Club. She currently holds the position of co - coach of the Victorian U18 Girls Team and Emerging Vipers, a program to prepare and push athletes towards high level State teams, VIS Scholarships and National Squads.
The Victorian Institute of Sport Performance Manager Dave Crosbee welcomes Stacia’s expertise saying, “We are thrilled to have someone of Stacia’s calibre on board and believe our program will benefit greatly from her energy and expertise.”
Stacia will seek to continue the VIS's proud tradition in the sport of hockey and will commence her new role immediately.
Stacia’s achievements include:
- Captain Victorian Women’s Hockey Team (Vipers), 2011 – 2015
- Playing hockey professionally in The Netherlands, 2013 – 2014
- Victorian Premier League MVP, 2014
- Australian Women’s Hockey Olympic Squad London, 2012
- Australian Women’s Hockey Team (including development team), 2007 – 2012
- Scholarship to Australian Institute of Sport, 2009 – 2012
- Scholarship to Victorian Institute of Sport, 2005 – 2014
- National Manager of ‘Coach Approach’ a national organization placing elite athletes in Schools
- Coaching the Amsterdam Hockey Club/ HIC Hockey Club / Qui Vive Hockey Club
- Current co - coach of the Victorian Under 18 Girls Team and Emerging Vipers